The basic guidelines for the 40-day postnatal period:
- Be cosy at home. Stay close to your baby.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Be conscious about healthy food and drinks. (More about food).
- Start with pelvic floor exercises.
- Long and deep breathing with abdominal breath (bringing the pelvic floor muscle up).
- Avoid abdominal over-stretching.
- Do not strain nor lift anything heavier than your baby.
- For the first few days, lie on your stomach (with a little pillow underneath the belly) to help compress the uterus.
- Stimulate the circulation of the blood in the legs by lying on your back with your legs straight and pulling the toes towards you.